The fair was organized in 1884 and fairs were held in Brainerd, Pequot Lakes and Crosby before permanently locating in Brainerd in 1937. The 1899 fair was held at grounds owned by M. K. Swartz located just east of the 1900 block on East Oak Street. in 1938 the fair was held at the Brainerd Armory and beginning in 1939 at the Mill Avenue fairgrounds where it was held each year until moving to its present location at 2000 South 13th Street in 1962.
The fair began as an agricultural event for the purpose of providing a place for county residents to exhibit their products. Youth projects such as 4-H and FFA were able to enter and compete for prizes. While many aspects of the fair have changed over the years, the main philosophy remains the same, to provide opportunity for our patronage to touch base with the agricultural heritage of Crow Wing County.
The Crow Wing County Fair is now among the five largest fairs in Minnesota, with annual exhibits numbering over 6,000 and annual attendance estimated at 100,000. The fair is now an educational non-profit organization. We would like to invite you to become a member of the fair association. Please join today and become an active part of the Fair.